Voir les messages sans réponses | Voir les sujets actifs Nous sommes le 29 Mar 2024 1:15

Répondre au sujet  [ 17 messages ] 
 Happy Birthday Mr. Joe Jackson 
Auteur Message
Creature de la Nuit

Répondre en citant le message
Message Happy Birthday Mr. Joe Jackson
Joyeux anniversaire au génial Joe Jackson

52 ans aujourd'hui.

11 Aoû 2007 11:43
Profil Site Internet
Skeleton In The Forum

Ahaha, le sujet sans intérêt ! Mouahaha, tout le monde s'en fout du frère de Micheal Jackson (mais si, ils sont aussi blancs et squelettiques l'un que l'autre !!!), et puis en plus on en a marre d'attendre le nouvel album et le dvd pour 2008 et il a même pas sorti de live avec Ethel ce salaud et puis...

Bon au moins c'est pas quelqu'un d'autre qui fera les remarques à deux maravédis cette fois. :D

En fait ton metal est à mon metal ce que mon café est à ton café.

11 Aoû 2007 19:25
Profil Site Internet
Skeleton In The Forum

11 Aoû 2007 22:51
Profil Site Internet
Skeleton In The Forum

12 Aoû 2007 0:33
Profil Site Internet
Skeleton In The Forum

Nouvel album, "Rain", le 29 janvier, et tournée en trio (le JJ Band moins la gratte) qui passera à la Cigale le 4 mars 2008 !

Joe Jackson
Rain

Invisible Man
Too Tough
Citizen Zane
Wasted Time
The Uptown Train
King Pleasure Time
Solo (So Low)
Rush Across The Road
Good Bad Boy
A Place In The Rain

When Joe Jackson went into an East Berlin recording studio with the rhythm section that has accompanied him, off and on, for nearly three decades, he had the most strikingly simple line-up in mind: just piano, bass, drums and his unmistakable, eternally yearning voice. As he later pondered a name for this compellingly to-the-point collection of ten new songs, he took a similar approach. “I wanted something elemental because that’s the kind of album I wanted to make,” Jackson explains. “There is no padding on it at all; the album is stripped to the bare essentials, so I hope it has a timeless quality. The title seems to fit.”

The natural elements were indeed a leitmotif, not so much in the words of the songs themselves as in Jackson’s surroundings as he created them: “It seemed like rain was a constant companion. It always seemed to be raining when I was working on these songs, and it rained every day while we were recording them. But I like the rain, and I don’t understand why for many people it has this automatic association with doom and gloom. What would we do without rain?”

Rain may have the occasionally melancholic moment, but it also boasts plenty of humor, swing, sophistication, barbed social commentary and even some punk-like rocking out – no guitars necessary -- on “King Pleasure Time.” “Rush Across the Road” evokes a split-second moment of sweet recognition between two former – or soon-to-be – lovers, while “Wasted Time” gently examines both the longing and regret in an affair gone sour. “Too Tough” balances the swagger and vulnerability of an emotionally guarded character in a classic Jackson arrangement that features big, dramatic choruses and a rough-edged lead vocal. “Good Bad Boy,” with quick shuffling rhythms and a rollercoaster of a piano solo, skewers the pre-packaged rebelliousness of a modern-day rock star or fashion model.

In its adventurous spirit as well as its piano-based sound, the material on Rain recalls Jackson’s 1982 Night and Day, the best-selling and most critically lauded album of his career, and its equally well-regarded 2000 sequel. On the original disc, Jackson had created a gorgeous love letter to his newly adopted home of New York City, incorporating Latin rhythms and a cinematic, Gershwin-like sweep in his work. The album yielded the multi-format Top Ten hit, “Steppin’ Out” and showcased for his widest audience ever Jackson’s stylistic breadth as a composer. Jackson has since moved on to an apartment in Berlin, which currently boasts the kind of anything-goes cosmopolitanism that epitomized Manhattan when Jackson had first arrived there. But he still manages to evoke a magical sort of New York City-inspired urbanity in his songs, the aural equivalent of a movie classic from half-a-century ago, filmed in shimmering black and white. As Jackson admits, “I lived on and off for twenty years in New York. You spend so much time in one place it gets into your bones and into your heart.”

It’s especially present on “Uptown Train,” which has the offhanded, hip feel of a vintage Ramsey Lewis, piano-trio jam. Jackson is well into his groove before he starts his vocalizing, punctuating the number with some very soulful falsetto singing. Says Jackson, “As you might be able to tell from that track, I’ve been listening to a lot of jazz stuff from the late fifties and early sixties, a lot of classic Blue Note records, a lot of Horace Silver and Art Blakey, Lee Morgan and people like that.”

The playful mood Jackson evokes on “Uptown Train” belies the surroundings in which Jackson and longtime band-mates Graham Maby (bass/vocals) and Dave Houghton (drums/vocals) cut Rain: “We recorded in a very interesting place called Planet Roc in the Eastern part of Berlin. It had been a major East German radio station, a huge complex that used to have close to 20,000 people working in it. Now half of it is derelict, which is really weird; it’s gradually being converted into studios, production companies, things like that. But it has this sort of desolate, Communist kind of feeling to it, which I like.”

Fans who have been following Jackson’s live shows in recent years will already be familiar with a few of these tunes, in particular, “Too Tough,” which started appearing on set lists around 2004. Jackson explains, “It got finished about the same time as ‘Citizen Sane.’ It’s been about three years. I wasn’t in a hurry to make a new album. I promised myself that I wouldn’t make a record until I had an album’s worth of songs that were the best I could do. I think several of these songs are the best songs I’ve ever written, and I wanted to have 10 or 12 songs that I felt that way about before I put out another album. I used to be a bit of a workaholic, but I am now much more patient. The quantity has gone down, but the quality has gone up.”

In 2003, Jackson reunited with his original Look Sharp! band-mates -- Maby, Houghton and guitarist Gary Sanford – to record Volume 4, the fourth studio album they would make together. It also marked 25 years since they’d worked on Jackson’s star-making debut disc. The group toured for seven months, then released the concert recording, After Life. Jackson subsequently embarked on a solo piano tour, co-billed with Todd Rundgren. Rain, then, is the best of both worlds. Jackson explores a pared-down sound within a comfortable band format, a mix that, he decides, has helped his songwriting: “There are quite a few songs that I can play solo if I had to, and that was never the case in the past. I was always thinking of band arrangements as I was writing songs. It’s a bit of a new approach, really. I have been trying to write songs that are bulletproof, that could be done in a very simple way and still work.”

But Jackson emphasizes that he has no intention of going it alone right now; in fact, Jackson, Maby and Houghton have full-on European and American tours planned for 2008: “It’s so great to go out and play with guys you know so well. Apart from the fact that we have fun on the road, that we’re friends, the shows are very spontaneous. We’re able to give and take because we know each other so well. We make our shows different every night, which is great.”

Despite his early image as dapper new-wave rocker in skinny tie and pork-pie hat, Jackson has never allowed himself to be limited in where he can go as composer or performer. In the eighties, he explored reggae, jump-blues and Latin rhythms, and he produced several memorable film scores. A decade later, he segued into long-form composing and won a Best Pop Instrumental Recording Grammy in 2000 for his 1999 Sony Classical release, Symphony No. 1, which featured jazz and rock players instead of a traditional orchestra.

“I’ve always been pretty diverse,” Jackson concludes. “It you go back and listen to the first album, you might find that it’s pretty eclectic. I think that artists, especially new ones, get slotted into one movement or genre or another. People were so anxious to put me in a certain category that they didn’t notice how eclectic Look Sharp! was, so they acted surprised a bit later. It’s kind of ironic.”

Rain, then, is not surprising at all – at least for those of us who have been following Jackson’s extraordinary 30-year career. It’s just another genre-stretching effort from an artist who continues to extend the boundaries of his craft.

-- Michael Hill

26 Nov 2007 17:52
Profil Site Internet
Skeleton In The Forum

Bon comme j'ai négocié la place en cadeau d'anniversaire, voilà, c'est pris. Troisième rang, pfff, cinquième concert de JJ et première fois que je ne serai pas tout devant. lol

27 Nov 2007 15:49
Profil Site Internet
Skeleton In The Forum

Tout le monde s'en fiche sauf moi, mais voilà une setlist de Joe Jackson à Tours hier soir (dans un ordre très approximatif, mais tout y est)

(Trio)
Another world
Too tough... Lire la suite
Citizen sane
Fools in love
For your love (Yardbirds)
Sunday papers
I feel possessed (Neil Finn)

(Solo)
Solo (so low)
Be my numer two

(Trio)
Cancer
The uptown train
On your radio
King pleasure time
One more time
Steppin' out
You can't get what you want (till you know what you want)
A place in the rain

(Rappel)
Is she really going out with him
Slow song

Par rapport à Paris en 2008, même nombre de chansons, seulement 8 en commun, et en cumulant les deux, j'ai vu l'intégralité de Rain en concert. Sinon, excellent show, malgré un son variable (quelques problèmes avec le piano sur le passage solo). Joe a complètement foiré ses solo au début, puis s'est rattrapé et à donné quelques superbes coups de clavier en suite (déjà sur Fools in love, puis la reprise de Crowded House, So Low, Uptown Train...), Graham Maby était comme toujours génial à la basse, et contrairement à l'année dernière le son de batterie n'était pas trop pourri. Excellente humeur et grand sourire sinon, et Joe Jackson est toujours Joe Jackson :

Première fois que des gens crient des noms de chansons : il se moque de leur accent.
Deuxième fois : "Nous ne jouons pas de chansons à la demande." (en français dans le texte)
Troisième fois : "Shut the fuck up!"

19 Juin 2009 14:11
Profil Site Internet
Skeleton In The Forum

Comme le sujet existe, je balance les dates de la tournée "jazz" (sans doute grandement consacrée à Duke Ellington, mais de nouveaux morceaux sont également annoncés) :

Thu, 7 Oct 2010 NL Amsterdam, to be announcednew
Fri, 8 Oct 2010 FR Paris, La Cigale
Sun, 10 Oct 2010 BE Brussels, Ancienne Belgique
Tue, 12 Oct 2010 FR Colombes (near Paris), L'Avant-Seine
Wed, 13 Oct 2010 FR Lyon, Transbordeur
Fri, 15 Oct 2010 FR Annemasse (near Geneva), Château Rouge
Sat, 16 Oct 2010 FR Grenoble, Maison de la Culture
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 FR Blagnac (near Toulouse), Odyssud
Wed, 20 Oct 2010 FR Marseille, Dock des Suds (Fiesta des Suds)
Fri, 22 Oct 2010 FR Alençon, La Luciole
Sat, 23 Oct 2010 FR Brest, La Carène
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 FR Terville (near Thionville), Le 112
Tue, 26 Oct 2010 FR Roubaix, Le Colisée
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 MC Monaco, Moods
Sun, 31 Oct 2010 CH Basel, Festsaal der Messe Basel

29 Avr 2010 13:51
Profil Site Internet
Skeleton In The Forum

J'ai une place à vendre pour Paris le 8 octobre.

29 Sep 2010 13:19
Profil Site Internet
Creature de la Nuit

Je me ferais bien le déplacement, pour voir.

30 Sep 2010 16:23
Skeleton In The Forum

Héhé, super concert, j'ai invité un pote totalement indiffèrent à Joe Jackson finalement, et il a adoré.

Tout le monde s'en branle, mais une setlist :

It's different for girls (solo)
Tomorrow's world
Too tough
Fools in love
Chinatown
Another world
King pleasure time
Sunday papers
For no one (solo)
Be my number two (solo)
The best I can do
Invisible man
Take it like a man
Is she really going out with him?
Got the time

Music To Watch Girls By
Steppin' out
Hometown

Et un live à venir, qui devrait donc être plutôt bon.

edit : En fait, c'était tellement bien que je viens de prendre une place pour le concert de Colombes mardi (tout au fond, ça changera du premier rang).

08 Oct 2010 22:28
Profil Site Internet
Skeleton In The Forum

Et je poursuit mon monologue monomaniaque.

Le coup de tête d'aller au concert de Joe Jackson ce soir se basait sur le maigre espoirs d'avoir le droit à quelques chansons que j'adore et "oubliées" à Paris vendredi dernier. Il m'a fallu affronter les manifs qui cernaient le cinquième arrondissement, et deux heures trente de route pour arriver à Colombes, mais le jeu en valait la chandelle, il a joué tout ce que je pouvait espérer : pas une mais trois chansons de Laughter & Lust, dont la reprise de Oh Well, le Don't Get Around de Duke Ellington, les titres que je préfère de l'album Rain, des reprises différentes, le reste de l'album Night & Day... Bref, un coup de tête qui a porté ses fruits. J'ai même encore pu me démerder pour me caser au premier rang !
Bref, les enfants, si la tournée passe près de chez vous et que ce n'est pas encore complet, bougez vous le fion, ça vaut laaaargement une trentaine d'euros.

La setlist avec seulement six chansons en commun avec Paris :

Different for girls
Tomorrow's world
Citizen sane
Wasted time
Cancer
Obvious song
Stranger than fiction
Scary monsters (David Bowie)
Sunday Papers
Any major dude (Steely Dan)
Real man
The uptown train
Oh well (Fleetwood Mac)
Good bad boy
Is she really going out with him?
Got the time

Don't get around much anymore (Duke Ellington)
Steppin' out
Slow song

12 Oct 2010 23:27
Profil Site Internet
Skeleton In The Forum

Dans la série tout le monde s'en fiche mais c'est le genre d'exemple qui peut s'avérer utile un jour où l'autre dans une conversation sur les habitudes des musiciens en tournée, et leur manière d'aborder les concerts, j'ai trouvé ça dans un texte de Graham Maby sur la récente tournée de Joe Jackson :

The two nights at Paradiso in Amsterdam this last week were highlights of the tour, like so many gigs we've done there since the first time in . . . was it really 1979? You should know that Joe keeps a record of every set list, so when we return somewhere he makes sure we don't repeat all the same songs. Those of you who were at both Paradiso shows may have noticed that.

Je serai curieux de savoir s'il y a d'autres mecs qui se décarcassent à ce point.

Et tant que j'y suis, j'ajoute un Top10 donné par Joe Jackson dans une interview en 79 :

1. Bruce Springsteen, Born to run
1. The Clash, London's burning
1. Prince Buster, Al Capone
1. David Bowie, Drive-in saturday
1. Gregory Isaacs, Mr know it all
1. Public Image LTD, Public image
1. Taper Zukie, T.P.L.A.
1. Big Youth, Hit the road
1. Ray Campi and his rockabilly rebels, Teenage boogie
10. The Legendary Stardust Cowboys, Paralysed

a) Choosing ten favorites is hard enough: putting them in order is impossible. Anyone who can name their favorite record ever must have narrow musical tastes. Therefore I've chosen nine number ones.
b) Number ten is probably the worst record ever made. Therefore the most fascinating?
c) Reggae is my favorite music so I've chosen four reggae tracks. Next time I do a top ten it will be four different ones.
d) I didn't choose anything more than three or four years old except Prince Buster - the old favorites are everyone's old favorites.

15 Nov 2010 14:39
Profil Site Internet
Skeleton In The Forum

En fait ça m'éclate de poster mes trucs sans interet. Tiens, par exemple, la liste des chansons jouées sur la tournée 2010. Moi je veux les reprises sur le live !

Is She Really Going Out With Him? 28
It's Different For Girls 28
Steppin' Out 28
Tomorrow's World 28
Sunday Papers 26
Got The Time 26
Fools In Love 23
Another World 23
Chinatown 23
Too Tough 20
The Uptown Train 19
Good Bad Boy 19
Citizen Sane 17
A Slow Song 16
Girl (Beatles cover) 16
Be My Number Two 14
Invisible Man 14
Real Men 12
Home Town 12
Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac cover) 11
Inbetweenies (Ian Dury cover) 11
Music To Watch Girls By (Andy Williams cover) 11
The Best I Can Do 9
King Pleasure Time 9
Cancer 6
Take It Like A Man 6
Scary Monsters (David Bowie cover) 6
Anyone Who Had A Heart (Burt Bacharach cover) 6
Obvious Song 5
Stranger Than Fiction 5
Still Alive 5
Dirty Martini 5
Rush Across The Road 5
Don't Get Around Much Anymore (Duke Ellington cover) 5
I Feel Possessed (Crowded House cover) 5
Goin' Downtown 3
Can We Still Be Friends (Todd Rundgren cover) 3
One More Time 2
Not Here, Not Now 2
You Can't Get What You Want 2
Awkward Age 2
Wasted Time 2
A Place In The Rain 2
Eleanor Rigby (Beatles cover) 2
You Can't Be Too Strong (Graham Parker cover) 2
Any Major Dude Will Tell You (Steely Dan cover) 2
Life On Mars (David Bowie cover) 2
For No One (Beatles cover) 2
Knowing Me, Knowing You (ABBA cover) 2

24 Nov 2010 12:44
Profil Site Internet
Skeleton In The Forum

2. Another World
3. Still Alive
4. Chinatown
5. Sunday Papers
6. Cancer
7. Girl (Beatles cover)
8. Inbetweenies (Ian Dury cover)
9. Scary Monsters (David Bowie cover)
10. Got The Time
11. Steppin' Out
12. A Slow Song

Recorded live in 2010 in Brest and Alençon (France), Amsterdam (Netherlands), Basel (Switzerland), and Cologne and Berlin (Germany)

Les deux dernieres sont totalement inutiles, et il manque une paire de trucs plus originaux (comme la reprise de Music to watch girls by, ou la reprise d'Ellington, ou l'autre des Beatles, qui au moins n'a pas déjà été publiée)... mais ça peut faire un album sympa quand même. Vu le choix, ça peux être mieux que le live de 2003, mais ça n'approchera pas l'excellence de Summuer In the City il y a 12 ans.Gros défaut également, aucun morceau de Rain (et pourtant il y en a trois ou quatre qui valent mieux en live).

11 Mar 2011 2:54
Profil Site Internet
Skeleton In The Forum

11 Avr 2011 18:17
Profil Site Internet
Skeleton In The Forum

Joe Jackson joue Another World (tiré de Night & Day) avec son groupe la tournée The Duke :
http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/ ... id=1409619

14 Juil 2012 14:26
Profil Site Internet
Répondre au sujet   [ 17 messages ]